We did Semester 1 self-reflections in class on Thursday and Friday which are open-ended. Students are simply asked to comment on the evidence students have of the work they have done and progress they have made in the last 5 months considering:
- Music Literacy (knowledge)
- Technique (playing it “right”)
- Artistry (connecting your performance with other musicians and the audience)
- Musician’s Mindset (the non-musical thought processes and actions involved in learning and playing).
Students who did not complete them in class are reminded to submit them by Monday morning.
We’re pleased to announce that as of Sunday evening, ESPRESSIVO 2018 is officially sold out! While we have no table seats left (which include the desserts etc.) if you didn’t happen to get a ticket, you can see the show. We will be opening the bleachers Wednesday evening for admission by donation as we want to ensure everyone sees the kids play. Looking forward to another great show!
DW Poppy Music Department’s annual fundraising concert will be taking place on Wednesday, December 5, 2018. This year’s holiday spectacular involves more than 200 student performers in 5 concert bands (including the Elementary Honour Band), 2 concert choirs, 2 jazz bands, and jazz choir.
Tickets are $12.00 per person and are now available online through the following link:
Please note that performers only require a ticket if you would like them to join you at your table during the concert when they are done their performance.
Doors open at 5:00pm and in addition to a night of great musical performances beginning at 6:30pm, food trucks including Big Reds Poutine, Wings, & Helms Mobile Kitchen will have dinner available for purchase from 5-7pm. The evening also includes coffee and desserts, a “balloon pop” fundraiser, raffle, and silent auction. Proceeds from the event help us subsidize costs to participate in festivals and competitions, put on concerts in the community to connect our students outside the school, bring in guest artists to work with our young musicians, and most importantly, to provide instruments and partial tour funding to our students in need who would otherwise be unable to participate, so thank you so much for your generous support!
Your purchase will put you on the Will-Call list at the door, but as this is our first year moving to SchoolCashOnline, please print off your receipt or bring a “screen cap” on your phone
We encourage families put purchase their tickets online, but if you do not pay school fees online, you can pay with cash/cheque (payable to DW Poppy Secondary School) in the band room. Please note that this event sells out most years so order your tickets soon!
Thanks so much and we’ll see you on December 5th!
Mark & Wayne
In preparation for everyone’s holiday entertaining, the next round of Neufeld Farms fundraising is now live. Orders are due no later than 12Noon on Thursday, November 29. Pickup is at 6:30pm on Wednesday, December 12th. Details are available via our Fundraising page.
We had a great series of concerts last week with our Senior Night of Music, Junior Night of Music and two Remembrance Day performances. Thanks to Mr. Janzen’s tech crew, we have live streams of both our evening shows. (Audio is much improved on the second evening’s recording).
This week our Senior Concert Band is performing at Walnut Grove Secondary for the District Senior Concert Band Festival. Hope to see you there.
Please remember that we have Poinsettia Sales running through Friday, November 23 and a heads up that we will be posting details for both our next Neufeld Farms sale and ESPRESSIVO 2018 shortly. Thanks to our parent volunteers for making this all happen!
Just a few reminders as it’s concert week…
Concert & Rehearsal Calendar:
- Grade 10-12 students are here on Tuesday evening (6:30pm call, 7:00pm start)
- All Black with Red Ties or Scarves as purchased through the department. Please see the UNIFORMS policy from the handbook and online if you have any questions.
- Grade 8 & 9 students are performing on Wednesday evening (6:30pm call, 7:00pm start)
- All Black with optional red accents. Please see the UNIFORMS policy from the handbook and online if you have any questions.
- Senior Choir and Senior Band are performing at the Remembrance day assemblies on Thursday
- Senior Band will have a late start rehearsal on Wednesday morning (7:30am) to prep for Remembrance Day
- Senior Jazz will have no rehearsal on Thursday due to Remembrance Day performances by most members
- District Senior Band Festival (Senior Concert Band members only) is on Thursday, November 15 at Walnut Grove Secondary (6:30pm call, 7:00pm start)
- Neufeld Farms was a massive success with over $23,000 in sales and thousands of dollars directly to student accounts in support of their travel this year.
Reminder that Neufeld pickup runs from 7-8pm tonight in the parking lot outside the music room! Thanks to Pamala and Michelle for all their hard work!
A few notes for parents as we get the year started…
- Off-timetable rehearsals are the same as last year. For new Grade 8’s, Junior Choir is Monday & Thursday at 6:45am and Junior Jazz Band is Tuesday & Friday at 6:45am.
- Our first parent meeting is at 7:30pm (after the grade 8 parent night) on Thursday, September 20. We ask that interested grade 12 parents join us when the grade 12 parent meeting ends.
- Please be sure your child’s name is on their instrument case and you have the model and serial number written down at home. Instruments can look identical and this helps ensure there is no confusion.
- Documents you should see coming home no later than Monday, September 10:
- DW Poppy Music Handbook – 18|19 – Please familiarize yourself with the calendar of events and policies for the music department.
- Musician’s Commitment Contract – 18|19 – Please return this by Friday, September 14, 2019
After a restful summer, we wanted to welcome you back to DW Poppy Music for our 2018/19 season. We have a great year planned including some new events.
- District Choral Festival (SCC)
- November 6th and 7th, join us for our fall nights of music from our Seniors and Juniors respectively.
- District Concert Band Festival (SCB)
- December 5th is this year’s ESPRESSIVO: Holiday Spectacular. Kick off the holiday season with family, friends, food and holiday favourites compliments of all our ensembles here at Poppy.
- District Jazz Festival (SJB)
- March 6 we host the Elementary Zone Concert
- March 12 is the Sounds of Spring Concert (All DWP Ensembles)
- May 2-5 is the department-wide tour to the Con Brio Whistler Music Festival. This is a first travelling with the entire program and we are very excited!
- May 23rd is the Poppy Jazz Cafe, featuring our jazz ensembles: Junior Jazz Ensemble, Senior Jazz Ensemble, Poppy Vox Vocal Jazz, our guest ensemble and the return of the Parent/Staff/Alumni Band at the Fort Langley Community Hall
- June 3 is our Night of Choirs at Fort Langley Community Hall.
- June 12 is our Night of Bands at DW Poppy
The website is currently being updated, so be sure to check back often. If you have questions, contact us at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org and we look forward to a great year working with your children.
We rarely adjust our calendar once it is set, but after consulting with students and staff, this is a reminder that we have adjusted our final concert dates to accommodate the AP English class trip to Bard on the Beach. Please update your calendars at home accordingly:
- ALL Choirs: Monday, June 11 at the Fort Langley Community Hall
- ALL Bands: Wednesday, June 13 at DW Poppy