Tonight’s programs are online available at http://dwpoppymusic.com/program-fsc-2023
Thank you to everyone who came out last night. We have a great year ahead. Sorry for the bit of a list, but a few points and a call for help we wanted to make sure every parent is aware of:
- Please be sure your child is in the ALL MUSIC STUDENTS Teams group as well as for each of their ensembles and be sure to check before leaving for early mornings in case we are ill and need to cancel
- Parent Support – the kids need your help!
- We are looking for parents to coordinate a number of activities (ESPRESSIVOs, Festivals, Concert Door) and to help raise funds for student travel (Neufeld Farms, Purdy’s, Poinsettias and Coffee). We’ll show you how if you need, but the fundraisers cannot run without parent help, so if you (or you and a friend or two) are willing to coordinate an activity or fundraiser please let us know by filling out the form here: https://forms.office.com/r/EQjtRnUCQm
- Actions you need to see/hear from your kids at home:
- Your kids need to be practicing at least a 3-4 times a week at home (and sorry, but at the beginning of each season, it won’t sound good if they are working on the stuff they should be 😊)
- They regularly need to be listening to the recordings of their music (usually posted to Teams) so they know what the “target” is
- They need to stay on top of any written work or recording assignments posted to TEAMS so they should be checking those classes regularly at home, in the learning commons or on a device
- Off-Timetable Classes (Jazz Bands, Choirs and Senior Wind Ensemble)
- If your child is going to be late or absent, please email us directly – we don’t hear about absences for off-timetable classes from call-ins so please let us know so we know the kids are safe those morning,s especially for those who are driving themselves
- Concerts, Festivals and other performances (other than tour) are course expectations.
- All dates are in the handbook that should have gone home and online at www.dwpoppymusic.com/handouts or www.dwpoppymusic.com/events
- If there are pre-existing conflicts or challenges come up during the year, please let us know right away so we can support everyone
- Junior Tour (8/9): UBC Residency (May 23-25)
- Info/pricing will be shared as soon as vendors lock spring prices but more details will be out soon
- Senior Tour (10-12): Montreal (Late April – 5 days)
- A separate email looking for interest in this trip is coming shortly before we move ahead
Thanks you all so much for your ongoign support of your child’s interest in music. If you’re able to help with one of our fundraisers, please let us know, and we look forward to seeing you at their first concert this year!
Just a reminder of the Music Parents’ meeting at 7:00-7:30pm in the band room on Tuesday, September 19 (after the Grade 8 Parent Night). We are still finalizing details but are announcing tentative tour plans for the year and are looking for help with fundraising and other activities so as teachers, we can focus on teaching your kids. Here is the sign-up to help wherever you can.
Parent Volunteer Sign-Up: https://forms.office.com/r/EQjtRnUCQm
Thank you so much and we look forward to a wonderful year with the kids!
We hope you all had a wonderful summer break and are very exited to welcome everyone back for the 2023/24 season of DW Poppy Music! We have a full performance calendar including our traditional fall and spring concerts, ESPRESSIVO, ESPRESSIVO: Summer Pops and the return of the Poppy Jazz Cafe. Students will also participate in a number of festivals, district events, the elementary honour band and honour choir, and Junior and Senior Music Tours!
STAYING IN TOUCH: Students will review the DW Poppy Music Handbook online in the first few classes with all information about what we do here and the expectations for the performing ensembles. Hard copies will be available but all information will be posted here and in Teams. The site will also continue to be updated in the coming days and weeks as we get rolling, and will host regular resources and updates for parents and our community. For regular communication, students need to connect with us in Teams regularly and parents/guardians should have emails up to date for notices, and for quick update. Anyone can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram @dwpmusicdept for highlights through the year.
Band 8, 9 and 10 are asked to bring instruments to their first classes as we hope to play at least a little in our first classes. There will be a lunch-hour meeting on Friday, September 8 in the band room for all off-timetable classes (Choirs, Vocal Jazz, Jazz Bands and Senior Wind Ensemble) and those classes will begin the week of Monday, September 11.
- Off-Time Table Schedule for 2023/24
- Junior Choir 8/9 and Senior Jazz Ensemble 10-12 – Monday/Thursday @ 7:15-8:45am
- Senior Choir 10-12 and Junior Jazz Ensemble 8/9 – Tuesday/Friday @ 7:15-8:45am
- Senior Wind Ensemble – Wednesday @ 7:15-8:45am and Monday/Friday @ Lunch
- Senior Vocal Jazz – After-school – Tuesday & Thursday @ 3:15-4:30pm
We have our first Music Parents meeting the evening of Tuesday, September 19 at 7pm in the band room after the Grade 8 parent night. We’ll outline our plans for the year, how you can support your child’s progress and how you can get involved in making this a great year again for Poppy’s musicians.
Enjoy your last week of summer holidays and we’ll look forward to seeing everyone and beginning to make music next week!
To minimize our paper usage, please click here to access the Program for ESPRESSIVO: Summer Pops (23/06/14)
Dear DW Poppy Music and Elementary Band Families,
Mr. Steeves and I are very excited to announce the final details and ticket information for all of the DW Poppy Family of Schools participating in ESPRESSIVO: Summer Pops this June.
TICKETS $5 each – CLICK HERE
ESPRESSIVO: Summer Pops – WEDNESDAY, JUNE 14, 2023 at DW Poppy Secondary School.
From Elton John to Ethan Hunt, James Bond to John Bon Jovi, and The Weekend to The Incredibles! Join the DW Poppy Family of Schools for Live Music & Food Trucks
- DOORS open at 5:00PM
- ELEMENTARY 6/7 BANDS begin performing at approximately 5:30PM
- DW POPPY MUSICIANS begin performing at approximately 6:45PM
- ELEMENTARY MUSICIANS need sign in in Mr. Follett’s or Mr. Steeves room by 5:15 in uniform with their instrument and music to meet their teacher who will walk them through the event.
- POPPY MUSICIANS need sign in in Mr. Follett’s or Mr. Steeves room by 6:30 in uniform with their instrument and music.(Please pay attention to the posted performance schedule that evening so you are aware when you need to be on stage)
- DINNER: Food will be available for purchase starting at 5:00pm from the five food trucks on site:
1. Street Dogs
2. The Mad Greek
3. REEL Mac & Cheese
4. Little oOties Mini Donuts
5. Big Red’s Poutine
We ask that:
Elementary Performers eat after their performance
Poppy Performers eat before their performance
- TICKETS: are $5 per person and are AVAILABLE ONLINE AT https://sd35.schoolcashonline.com/Fee/Details/48975/111/False/True
- All proceeds support music students in the DW Poppy Family of Schools
- IN CASE OF INCLEMENT WEATHER, THE EVENT MAY BE MOVED INDOORS WITH LIMITED SEATING SO BE SURE TO VISIT WWW.DWPOPPYMUSIC.COM FOR UPDATES CLOSER TO THE EVENT
If you have any questions or concerns, please email me back at email@example.com.
We’re looking forward to a wonderful night of music outdoors on June 14th! See you then!
Thank you to the stores, restaurants and other businesses that made donations towards ESPRESSIVO: Winter Celebration 2022! Please consider supporting them as they have been so generous towards the Poppy Music Program this year
- Booster Juice
- Bosley Pets
- Driediger Farm
- Fox & Hounds Pub Aldergrove
- Home Depot
- Home Hardware Aldergrove
- Into Chocolate
- J D Turkey Farm
- Krausberry Farms
- Langley Golf Centre
- Lee’s Market
- London Drugs
- Long and McQuade
- Me n Ed’s Pizza
- Milner Valley Cheese
- Nature’s Fare
- Neck of the Woods Winery
- Nikko Sushi
- Pharmasave Fort Langley
- Phaser Fire Protection Ltd.
- Ralph’s Market
- Save on Foods
- Silhouette Computer & Tutoring Solutions
- Tim Hortrons
- Township 7 Winery
- Treasure Landing
- Vancouver Chamber Choir
Our third fundraiser is now live online. Neufeld Farms orders are now available with profits going directly to your child’s fundraising account as long as you include their name as outlined.
- ORDERS ARE PLACED ONLINE
- Link: https://app.neufeldfarms.ca/fundraising/2022-dw-poppy-secondary-school-68afc41fc1/ref/em
- Select “Cash” as your payment type on the Neufeld website
- Write down your order number from the Neufeld website
- PAY FOR YOUR ORDER VIA SCHOOLCASHONLINE:
- Be sure you selected “Cash” as your payment type on the Neufeld website
- Be sure you have your order number from the Neufeld website
- Go to your child’s School Cash Online account
- Select Music Department – Neufeld Order Payment
- Input your order number and payment amount
- Orders are due online by November 27th
- Pick-up Wednesday, December 7, 6:30pm outside the music room (same time as PURDYS
- ***Be sure to input your child’s name in the “Student/Player/Participant Name” field to ensure they get credit for the purchase***
FUNDRAISING: We’re excited that we have two fundraisers that are starting up today and one more running starting next week. These fundraisers will go directly towards your child’s music account and are fully online this year:
- Poinsettias & Wreaths:
- Orders due November 30th
- Pick-up Monday, December 12, 3:15-5:00pm outside the music room
- ***Be sure to input your child’s name in the “Special Notes” field to ensure they get credit for the purchase
- Purdy’s Chocolates
- Orders due November 20th
- Pick-up Wednesday, December 7, 6:30pm outside the music room
- ***Be sure to input your child’s name in the “Additional Info” field to ensure they get credit for the purchase
- Any questions, contact Jenny at 604-764-9679
- Neufeld Farms – Online Ordering and payment details will go live next Wednesday, but orders will be due November 27th pick-up will be Wednesday, December 7 at the same time as Purdy’s. Watch for an email during concert week.