Just a few reminders as it’s concert week…
Concert & Rehearsal Calendar:
- Grade 10-12 students are here on Tuesday evening (6:30pm call, 7:00pm start)
- All Black with Red Ties or Scarves as purchased through the department. Please see the UNIFORMS policy from the handbook and online if you have any questions.
- Grade 8 & 9 students are performing on Wednesday evening (6:30pm call, 7:00pm start)
- All Black with optional red accents. Please see the UNIFORMS policy from the handbook and online if you have any questions.
- Senior Choir and Senior Band are performing at the Remembrance day assemblies on Thursday
- Senior Band will have a late start rehearsal on Wednesday morning (7:30am) to prep for Remembrance Day
- Senior Jazz will have no rehearsal on Thursday due to Remembrance Day performances by most members
- District Senior Band Festival (Senior Concert Band members only) is on Thursday, November 15 at Walnut Grove Secondary (6:30pm call, 7:00pm start)
- Neufeld Farms was a massive success with over $23,000 in sales and thousands of dollars directly to student accounts in support of their travel this year.
Reminder that Neufeld pickup runs from 7-8pm tonight in the parking lot outside the music room! Thanks to Pamala and Michelle for all their hard work!
A few notes for parents as we get the year started…
- Off-timetable rehearsals are the same as last year. For new Grade 8’s, Junior Choir is Monday & Thursday at 6:45am and Junior Jazz Band is Tuesday & Friday at 6:45am.
- Our first parent meeting is at 7:30pm (after the grade 8 parent night) on Thursday, September 20. We ask that interested grade 12 parents join us when the grade 12 parent meeting ends.
- Please be sure your child’s name is on their instrument case and you have the model and serial number written down at home. Instruments can look identical and this helps ensure there is no confusion.
- Documents you should see coming home no later than Monday, September 10:
- DW Poppy Music Handbook – 18|19 – Please familiarize yourself with the calendar of events and policies for the music department.
- Musician’s Commitment Contract – 18|19 – Please return this by Friday, September 14, 2019
After a restful summer, we wanted to welcome you back to DW Poppy Music for our 2018/19 season. We have a great year planned including some new events.
- District Choral Festival (SCC)
- November 6th and 7th, join us for our fall nights of music from our Seniors and Juniors respectively.
- District Concert Band Festival (SCB)
- December 5th is this year’s ESPRESSIVO: Holiday Spectacular. Kick off the holiday season with family, friends, food and holiday favourites compliments of all our ensembles here at Poppy.
- District Jazz Festival (SJB)
- March 6 we host the Elementary Zone Concert
- March 12 is the Sounds of Spring Concert (All DWP Ensembles)
- May 2-5 is the department-wide tour to the Con Brio Whistler Music Festival. This is a first travelling with the entire program and we are very excited!
- May 23rd is the Poppy Jazz Cafe, featuring our jazz ensembles: Junior Jazz Ensemble, Senior Jazz Ensemble, Poppy Vox Vocal Jazz, our guest ensemble and the return of the Parent/Staff/Alumni Band at the Fort Langley Community Hall
- June 3 is our Night of Choirs at Fort Langley Community Hall.
- June 12 is our Night of Bands at DW Poppy
The website is currently being updated, so be sure to check back often. If you have questions, contact us at email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org and we look forward to a great year working with your children.
We rarely adjust our calendar once it is set, but after consulting with students and staff, this is a reminder that we have adjusted our final concert dates to accommodate the AP English class trip to Bard on the Beach. Please update your calendars at home accordingly:
- ALL Choirs: Monday, June 11 at the Fort Langley Community Hall
- ALL Bands: Wednesday, June 13 at DW Poppy
Based on Wednesday’s in class vote, here are three finalists
We need ideas for a pop tune for each band that has been arranged for concert band already. If you would like to have some input on our final set, please email me a link by April 3 (before we come back to class) from JWPepper as described below.
Follow the link here: https://www.jwpepper.com/sheet-music/concert-band-music.jsp to the concert band listings for JW Pepper (think Amazon for music programs) and search for songs you’d like to play. Be sure you’re in the band listings and looking for the right difficulty:
- Band 6/7 – Very Easy
- Honour Band – Very Easy or Easy
- Band 8 & 9 – Easy or Medium Easy
- Band 10 – Medium Easy or Medium
- Band 11/12 (SWE) – Medium or Medium Advanced
As we’re reflecting in all classes post-concert, here are the recordings of the Senior Wind Ensemble’s set from Tuesday, March 13 and the reflection assignment. Due Friday, March 16 (student in Europe, due upon your return to school).