BEGINNER VIDEO LESSONS:
Beginner Lessons for all instruments! Dr. Steve Selfridge (https://www.drselfridgemusic.com) is an amazing band director who has shared a huge number of video lessons on Youtube. Here are beginning lessons for each instrument. I highly recommend spending some time on these for your instrument!
- Flute: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06seol1EtFfz40s-AKHp90eg-unAeQbf&si=JtI7guVC6AfeM3hW
- Clarinet: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06seol1EtFcMkVjGEe3VcsmP-JpG4WCM&si=Ylo_q5UpW9INFMRw
- Alto Sax (these will work for TENOR sax too, but will higher than tenor because it’s a smaller instrument): https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06seol1EtFefBPKKpbjaht5cTX57mnns&si=BgO4ARYALZaSr7wK
- Trumpet: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06seol1EtFdmHTeZzVWw9UlPsLkrk-GR&si=9UhnAPo1ytWZ61ib
- Trombone: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06seol1EtFdo7QSNnCYpiALGaOwkKc60&si=C7Oep89WwlHDr4A7
- Baritone/Euphonium: https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL06seol1EtFckJg27Q-kXYRRatvloC0sw&si=BSLTqo5yj7LvQGYq
UPDATE – Sept 6, 2023
Here is the updated version of the June Letter with all rental and other information: Beginning Band Letter 3 – 23|24
From the Sept 6, 2023 email to parents:
Dear Elementary Band Families,
I am really excited to get started with the kids in Band 6/7 next week. It’s going to be a great year for both our returning musicians and our beginners. Here are a few details to get things rolling well for everyone.
GETTING AN INSTRUMENT AND FIRST REHEARSALS
- Rehearsals will happen during the school day on Tuesdays and Thursdays.
- Rehearsals start on Tuesday, September 12 and Thursday, September 14 without instruments.
- If your child did not receive their letter in June, please email me for their instrument assignment.
- You can rent online (www.tapestrymusic.com) or in person at one of the local music stores, but please be sure to get all materials for your child from the attached letter (Instrument, Sound Innovations Book, listed accessories and cleaning materials) – please do not skip items or make substitutions. (If the store tells you to, please let me know)
- Beginners should plan to attend the Beginning Band Workshop for all beginners from all Langley schools on Saturday, September 16th at Langley Fundamental School from 9:00 to 11:00am. I will send home detailed information about the workshop for beginners on Tuesday. If have any questions, please let me know
- Regular rehearsals during the school day with all materials begin on Tuesday, September 19th
- Learning an instrument will take a bit more than just attending classes at school. In the beginning, it may just be making a few sounds, but by the end of September, beginners should have a few recognizable melodies and experienced players should be continuing on their “BAND KARATE” belts from last year (more details next week!)
- Please help your child be successful by setting aside 15 minutes per day to play their instrument. In addition to school and music, my own kids both play high level league sports 5 or 6 days per week so I understand how busy kids can be, but 15 minutes playing every day can turn frustration into great joy.
- Your child may get frustrated, and practicing won’t always sound good, but the more they play, the faster they will get better. Please email me or have your child speak to me if they are struggling because whether it is making a sound or learning to read music, I can usually get challenges sorted and put them back on the right track in just a few moments at the start or end of class.
CONCERTS (December TBA, March 12, June 13)
- Our three performances in December, March and June are what we work towards together for 3 months (like a Unit Test) so all students need to attend. The first concert will be participating in your child’s school’s Winter Concert (so please watch for that date in your school newsletter emails). In March and June, we have two joint concerts for the bands of Peterson Road, North Otter, Fort Langley and Coghlan all at DW Poppy.
- Tuesday, March 12 (Elementary Zone Concert)
- Thursday, June 13 (ESPRESSIVO: Summer Pops)
- Please put these dates in your calendar now and If a conflict arises, please let me know so we can find a solution.
I will send more info home with the kids next week, but I am very excited see the grade 7’s again and to start working with the grade 6’s. I’ve attached rental information, let me know if you have any other questions and I’ll see the kids on Tuesday 😊
Thank you for supporting your child’s interest in music!
UPDATE – JUNE 2023
ONLINE REGISTRATION IS NOW CLOSED. Please email Mark Follett (North Otter & Peterson Road) at email@example.com or Jered Steeves (Fort Langley & Coghlan) at firstname.lastname@example.org directly to register your child for elementary band for September 2023.
We’re very excited with the enrolment for grade 6/7 band for September 2023. Your child should receive their personalized instrument assignment and welcome letter with all rental and purchase information on Wednesday, June 28 or Thursday, June 29. If they did not receive a letter, a generic version of the letter is available below. If you have any questions or concerns, let us know.
Dear Grade 5 and 6 Parents,
We are very excited to let you know that next year’s grade 6 and 7 students will have the opportunity to take Band again in 2023|24. Students will have the option of selecting Band another Fine Arts/Music option at their school to be determined. We look forward to working with both beginning and experienced musicians next fall culminating some of the great activities that grow out of learning an instrument including concerts, festivals, ESPRESSIVO: Summer Pops and the award-winning DW Poppy Elementary Honour Band, who has received multiple invitations to MusicFest Canada, the Canadian National Music Festival.
Beyond experiencing the joy of making music, involvement in band develops of a group of friends that lasts a lifetime and establishes some rather profound environmental influences which will help determine many of your child’s successes in school well beyond music. We know that engaged band students represent the top of the academic scale in school, they average higher scores on SAT tests, indicating stronger verbal and math skills. We also know that most band students enjoy a successful academic high school career, go on to post-secondary education and become the leaders in our society. The top academic achiever and the band student are one and the same.
Membership in band is one of the most positive experiences you can offer your child, helping nurture and develop self-discipline, social and communication skills, positive self-image, cooperation and creativity through their study of music. It is an investment in your child’s future as these life-skills will be an important foundation for the various responsibilities they take on later in life.
You can register by clicking the link at the top of the page (or HERE) by Friday, June 2 or email email@example.com with any questions. If your child participated in band as a grade 6 this year, we encourage students to continue with their previous instrument, but if they would like to switch, please let us know so we can make the move that best improves your child’s chance of success.
We look forward to making music with your kids in September!
Mark Follett (DWP/NOE/PRE) & Jered Steeves (DWP/COG/FLE)