With our last full week of school upon us, this is a very busy week for instrumental musicians at Poppy.
- Monday is Massed Band at lunch – all band students must attend this dress rehearsal
- Wednesday morning is our final Senior Wind Ensemble rehearsal. Please in sure you’re there on time with all materials as will be collecting the remaining non-concert music.
- Wednesday is our final concert and awards night. Call is 6:30 and the show starts at 7:00 – admission is by donation at the door.
- As Wednesday is our final concert, it is also the last opportunity for students to take care of their second semester concert set up requirement. Set up will start right after school and should be rather quick. I expect we will be done the majority by 3:15. Please remember that concert set up is a requirement for all band students once a semester. If your child did not set up in March or at the jazz or choir night in the last few weeks, they do need to be there to meet this requirement.
- As is tradition, Friday is the music lunch with Pizza on the department. Please drop by for a slice before the school awards assembly.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to email me. We have a great show planned for Wednesday and it’s a great opportunity to celebrate the successes and achievements of our young musicians.
So it’s that time of year again. Jazz Cafe is happening on Thursday, May 23 at the Fort Langley Community Hall and it would be great to have a Parent-Staff-Alumni Band for the show again. We’ll prep 2 tunes for the show:
We will have a rehearsal before the show at 8:00pm in the Band Room at DW Poppy on Monday, May 13.
If you would like to look at the parts before the rehearsal, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org
If you are looking for hanging baskets, potting plants, herbs, potting soil or other gardening materials, DW Poppy Music is running our next fundraiser right now. The order form has gone out to students but you can also download it here.
Spring Planting order form – 2019
Orders are due Friday, April 26, 2019 and can be picked up Wednesday, May 8th at the school. Thanks very much to Cathy Gropp for organizing this next fundraiser. Contact her at email@example.com if you have any questions and thank you for supporting our young musicians!
It certainly has been an interesting week so far 😊. Fingers crossed for tomorrow’s weather.
As long as classes are on tomorrow, Junior and Senior Jazz Ensembles will be attending the Vancouver Kiwanis Jazz Festival so please ensure your child arrives in the band room at 8:00am in their uniform with their instrument, music and a bag lunch as we will not have the opportunity to purchase one. We will be traveling by district busses to the Bethany Baptist Church in Richmond. The email band member parents should have received at about 6:50pm Tuesday evening included another copy of the information letter that went out previously to clarify any other details. We will be back by 2:30pm as our buses are part of the regular school bus schedule.
Please check the district website Wednesday morning for any clarification necessary regarding weather. If for some reason your child is not attending tomorrow, please let me know so I am able to adjust our plans accordingly.
Many Thanks – Mr. Follett
P.S. Members of Senior Wind Ensemble, please remember that regardless of the weather, we have no rehearsal tomorrow before school due to the festival
While the district has not yet made a decision regarding school today, the snow is still falling here and I would rather ere on the side of safety. As such, I am cancelling our Junior Jazz rehearsal for this morning to give more time for roads to be plowed before anyone makes the trek to school. Please check the SD35 website and social media for the district’s call for the rest of the day.
REGARDING TOMORROW’S FESTIVAL IN RICHMOND: Please assume that we are still on for the Kiwanis Jazz Festival tomorrow, but I will email and post to social media and www.dwpoppymusic.comregarding tomorrow’s participation as soon as I have more information.
- If your child hasn’t dropped off their permission form, today during the day or tomorrow morning will be fine
- I am still looking for one or two more chaperones so if you are available to join us, please let me know.
Many thanks and please share this to other members of the band
With so much snow this morning, Senior Jazz rehearsal is moved to lunch time assuming schools are open today. Take the extra time to drive safe and check the SD35 website for updates. Please share and see you at lunch time today
We did Semester 1 self-reflections in class on Thursday and Friday which are open-ended. Students are simply asked to comment on the evidence students have of the work they have done and progress they have made in the last 5 months considering:
- Music Literacy (knowledge)
- Technique (playing it “right”)
- Artistry (connecting your performance with other musicians and the audience)
- Musician’s Mindset (the non-musical thought processes and actions involved in learning and playing).
Students who did not complete them in class are reminded to submit them by Monday morning.
We’re pleased to announce that as of Sunday evening, ESPRESSIVO 2018 is officially sold out! While we have no table seats left (which include the desserts etc.) if you didn’t happen to get a ticket, you can see the show. We will be opening the bleachers Wednesday evening for admission by donation as we want to ensure everyone sees the kids play. Looking forward to another great show!
DW Poppy Music Department’s annual fundraising concert will be taking place on Wednesday, December 5, 2018. This year’s holiday spectacular involves more than 200 student performers in 5 concert bands (including the Elementary Honour Band), 2 concert choirs, 2 jazz bands, and jazz choir.
Tickets are $12.00 per person and are now available online through the following link:
Please note that performers only require a ticket if you would like them to join you at your table during the concert when they are done their performance.
Doors open at 5:00pm and in addition to a night of great musical performances beginning at 6:30pm, food trucks including Big Reds Poutine, Wings, & Helms Mobile Kitchen will have dinner available for purchase from 5-7pm. The evening also includes coffee and desserts, a “balloon pop” fundraiser, raffle, and silent auction. Proceeds from the event help us subsidize costs to participate in festivals and competitions, put on concerts in the community to connect our students outside the school, bring in guest artists to work with our young musicians, and most importantly, to provide instruments and partial tour funding to our students in need who would otherwise be unable to participate, so thank you so much for your generous support!
Your purchase will put you on the Will-Call list at the door, but as this is our first year moving to SchoolCashOnline, please print off your receipt or bring a “screen cap” on your phone
We encourage families put purchase their tickets online, but if you do not pay school fees online, you can pay with cash/cheque (payable to DW Poppy Secondary School) in the band room. Please note that this event sells out most years so order your tickets soon!
Thanks so much and we’ll see you on December 5th!
Mark & Wayne