Hello Poppy Music Parents!
Espressivo is almost here so we wanted to let everyone know about some of the ways you can get involved with this great event. Espressivo will be held on Wednesday, December 6th. For those of you who are new to our music program, this is our biggest fundraising event of the year. It is a fantastic evening of seasonal music and dining presented by our incredible music department and dedicated parent volunteers.
In addition to performances by our DW Poppy bands and choirs, the event also includes food trucks for dining at the concert, a silent auction, a 50/50 draw, complimentary desserts, and a balloon pop fundraiser.
Espressivo is a big undertaking and we need your help! Here are some of the ways that you can get involved and help us make this important event a success:
- Go to our volunteer sign-up page and see what volunteers are needed on the day/night of the event https://www.volunteersignup.org/Y7TXT
- Consider making a donation for our silent auction &/or approaching businesses you may have a connection with (see ideas below). Our first concerts are November 7th and 8th, this would be a fantastic time to start bringing in donations!
- We also need someone to be in charge of the silent auction, to basically be a contact person for interested businesses and oversee soliciting new donations. This is an extremely important role, if you might be able to help with this, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Donate a gift card or 2 for our very popular balloon pop (if you plan to give a $20 card, please note that 4 cards with $5 amounts are preferable to a single card because it will give us more balloons to pop, a few higher priced gift cards are great too if you have other amounts lying around the house J)
Silent Auction Donation Ideas:
- event tickets (Canucks, concerts, etc)
- winter sports/activities basket
- holiday/Christmas theme basket
- rain/snow survival kit
- movie tickets and dinner gift card
- LEGO basket
- gardening basket
- scratch ticket basket
- bigger gift cards for dining, stores or services
- sports memorabilia
- gourmet tea/coffee or chocolate basket
Tax receipts are available for the value of the items donated. Please include your name and contact information with your item. Donations can be mailed in, dropped off at the office or picked up as needed.
Proceeds from Espressivo go to support:
- subsidize costs to participate in festivals and competitions,
- put on performances away from Poppy to connect our students outside the school,
- growth of the department’s library of print music for band and choir
- maintenance of our school instruments and purchase of additional instruments
- bring in guest artists to work with our young musicians
- provide instruments and partial tour funding to our students in need
If you have any questions or ideas for this year’s Espressivo, please contact Cathy CGropp@sd35.bc.ca or 604-807-8380 or Laurel email@example.com. Any and all help and donations are greatly appreciated and absolutely vital to the success of our event!
Cathy Gropp & Laurel Horn – Volunteers & Proud Poppy Music Parents
We are very excited to announce that the Junior Tour to the Con Brio Whistler Music Festival is going ahead for Band 8, Band 9 and Junior Jazz Ensemble. We have well-exceeded the minimum numbers in those three ensembles to qualify for the festival and are very excited to be travelling with the kids in the spring. We will shortly be getting updated pricing based upon our final numbers so if your child has not returned their paperwork and are still interested in participating, please return registration (found on the Junior Tour page) by Tuesday, October 24.
Thank you to all the parents who have expressed interest in chaperoning. We would love to bring everyone but are limited by our budgets so we will be looking at our final numbers and budget and be in touch in the coming weeks to sort out who will be with us as chaperones. If you are interested in joining us and have not yet let us know, please send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org ASAP.
Please visit the Junior Tour page to get the updated information on Junior Tour. Deposits are due October 3.
Just a quick reminder that we have our first music parents meeting tonight at 8:30 PM in the band room after the grade parent night. We hope you can make it but if you can’t please feel free to let us know if there’s places you like to help or you have any questions.
Dear Poppy Music Families,
Welcome to another great year of music at DW Poppy! Mr. Ablitt and I have a great year planned for the kids (as we hope you’ve already seen on the calendar in theDW POPPY MUSIC Handbook). There are a few things that were distributed to students in classes during the first week of school that are posted athttp://dwpoppymusic.com/assignments-handouts/ that you can also find here:
ALL STUDENTS: DW POPPY MUSIC Handbook
If you have not submitted the Student Information and Understanding of Expectations or Startup Fees Letter yet, please do so this week.
We look forward to seeing everyone who is interested at the first Music Parents Meeting (click for details) on Tuesday, September 19 – 8:30 to 9:00pm and will be talking about Junior Tour to Whistler, Senior Tour to Toronto, ESPRESSIVO and fundraising plans. Please note the changed start time of 8:30pm to accommodate the later end of the Grade 8 Parent night this year.
Thank you so much for your ongoing support of your child’s love of music and we look forward to seeing you at Tuesday’s meeting.
PS – We are still updating our email list for 2017/18. If you know of someone who didn’t receive this via email as well and should have, please pass it on and get them to contact us.
With just a few days until school starts, this is just a heads up that we have updated the website. Most of the details outlined in the DW POPPY MUSIC 2017/18 Handbook are now live, including our performance calendar for the year. Demo recordings of this years material will be posted in the coming days, but please take a moment to look around and we’ll see you in a few days!
It is our great pleasure to welcome you all back for the 2017/18 season of music here at DW Poppy Secondary! We are looking forward to a great year with our school concerts, district events, Jazz Cafe, ESPRESSIVO and our Junior Tour to the Whistler Con Brio Music Festival and Senior Tour to Toronto.
We will post our opening schedule next week and you can check back as we post the rest of the details for this year online in the coming weeks. We hope you enjoy the final few weeks of holidays and we look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks.
Mr. Follett & Mr. Ablitt
Remember that SCC is singing “O Canada” at the awards ceremony Friday June 16th. We will not be in uniform as it is such a brief performance. We will have a short run through at lunch in the choir room.
Just a reminder that due to the elementary Honour Band and Jr. Tours, there are no off-timetable classes for the rest of the week. (SWE received a REMIND at lunch today).
It may be three months away, but it isn’t too early to start thinking about summer plans. There are a number of great musical opportunities that your child can participate in over the summer. Here are a few: