With just a few days until school starts, this is just a heads up that we have updated the website. Most of the details outlined in the DW POPPY MUSIC 2017/18 Handbook are now live, including our performance calendar for the year. Demo recordings of this years material will be posted in the coming days, but please take a moment to look around and we’ll see you in a few days!
It is our great pleasure to welcome you all back for the 2017/18 season of music here at DW Poppy Secondary! We are looking forward to a great year with our school concerts, district events, Jazz Cafe, ESPRESSIVO and our Junior Tour to the Whistler Con Brio Music Festival and Senior Tour to Toronto.
We will post our opening schedule next week and you can check back as we post the rest of the details for this year online in the coming weeks. We hope you enjoy the final few weeks of holidays and we look forward to seeing you all in a few weeks.
Mr. Follett & Mr. Ablitt
Just a reminder that due to the elementary Honour Band and Jr. Tours, there are no off-timetable classes for the rest of the week. (SWE received a REMIND at lunch today).
It may be three months away, but it isn’t too early to start thinking about summer plans. There are a number of great musical opportunities that your child can participate in over the summer. Here are a few:
- VSO School of Music Summer Programs
- Douglas College Summer Jazz Intensive
- South Delta Jazz Festival – Student Workshop
- UBC Summer Music Institute (includes an option to live on campus)
Any jazz students interested in participating in the TD High School Jazz Intensive are encouraged to apply. This is a great opportunity to work with phenomenal young musicians from all over the lower mainland. If you have any questions, speak with Mr. Follett.
BC Honour band and choir applications are online now. Any students interested in participating are encouraged to put together an application package in the next two weeks. See Mr. Follett or Mr. Ablitt if you have any questions.
- Senior Jazz and Redhawk Voices Rehearsal ARE ON AS USUAL
- Band 10 – Have you dropped off your Chilliwack Band Festival paperwork yet?
- Neufeld Farms pickup at DW Poppy at 6:00pm tonight
- Senior Chamber Choir and Junior Jazz Ensemble Rehearsals ARE ON AS USUSAL
- Elementary Zone Concert starts at 7:00pm
- Anyone who can help setup after school is greatly appreciated
- Call for SWE and all touring members of Concert Band 10 is 7:30 as guest performers for the show
- Senior Wind Ensemble IS ON AS USUAL (Band 10 members who are on tour need to join us by 7:45am for a dress rehearsal on our massed tune)
- Sounds of Spring Concert – 6:30pm Call w/ 7:00pm start
All DW Poppy Musicians are performing this eveningAdmission by donation at the door
Thursday, March 9
- NO EARLY MORNING REHEARSALS FOR SJE or RHV
- Concert Band 10 participates in the Chilliwack Band Festival
Band 10 meets in the band room at 8:30am in uniform
We will be back no later than 2:00pm**We are still looking for 1-2 parent volunteers to help chaperone the day
**Rugby 7’s players who are driving back after our performance need to contact me regarding necessary district paperwork
Friday, March 10
- NO EARLY MORNING REHEARSALS FOR SCC or JJE
- Senior Tour Medical and Permission Forms due today
- Last day before break. Please take instruments home today so they are not here over the holiday.
Looks like school is on so hope to see JrJazz at 6:45. check district site @ 6:30 for updates if concerned
The district has cancelled school today due to the weather. https://www.sd35.bc.ca/alerts/all-langley-district-facilities-closed-thursday-february-9/