We are looking for students who are able to get rides up to the Fort Langley Community Hall after school on Thursday to assist with the setup for the concert. Students will be supervised by Mr. Follett and Mr. Ablitt and we do not expect setup to take too long (around 4:00pm we hope) but for those students who are not able to head home between setup and the show, we will provide pizza for dinner. If you are willing to allow your child to explore Fort Langley on their own after setup, please provide them with a note giving them permission to leave the community hall without supervision after setup is complete. If you’re able to join us to help with setup, any help is greatly appreciated.
Every fall on the October Professional Development Day, the BC Music Educators’ Association (BCMEA) hosts 5 provincial honour ensembles: Concert Band , Concert Choir, Jazz Band, Vocal Jazz and Orchestra. This is an opportunity for interested students to work together with the best musicians of their age group in the province. Audition materials are now live on the BCMEA website. We are happy to help students prepare and record their auditions.
We strongly encourage any interested grade 9, 10 and 11 students to check out the information online and come to see us with questions. This is a great opportunity for students to work with like-minded young musicians from around the province to work on some exceptionally challenging music and have a lot of fun.
Check out the audition process and requirements here at http://bctf.ca/bcmea/honour-ensembles.html.
Please note that any funds raised up to the cost of this year’s trip can be refunded if you have already paid off the cost of the trip. Anything in your child’s account beyond the cost of the trip can be “banked” for next year. Current account balances are posted in the band room hallway.
Thanks to parent Vicki Niiranen, we are running the Neufeld Farms fundraiser again. Order from the wide variety of goodies available through Neufeld Farms by Thursday, February 25. Paperwork is available in the band room or for download here and help cover the cost of your child’s travel to Sun Peaks or Montreal.
- All cheques must be payable to DW Poppy Music and will not be accepted after Thursday, February 25th, 2016
- Pickup will be on Tuesday, March 8 at 6:00pm at DW Poppy.
- Please contact parent coordinator Vicki Niiranen at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Click on the link below to see how to fill out the forms (which are available in the band room) and good luck!
Just a quick reminder to all members of both Senior and Junior Jazz Ensembles that we have our clinics with bassist Jodi Proznick on Monday this week to prepare for Jazz Café on February 11.
- Senior Jazz Ensemble 10-12 will start promptly at 6:45am as we want to be warmed up and prepared for our 7:00-8:00am clinic.
- Junior Jazz Ensemble 8-9 will start right at 11:40 with the altered bell schedule and will be extending our lunch rehearsal until 12:45 to maximize our time. I have already informed grade 8 teachers about our extended rehearsal and have had no concerns voiced regarding being late back to C2 after lunch.
Please be prepared with everything, including a pencil and take a few moments to listen to some samples of Jodi’s quartet here: http://www.jodiproznick.com/albums/foundations/
If your family hasn’t bought tickets yet, visit http://poppyjazzcafe.brownpapertickets.com quick and I’ll see you in Monday’s rehearsals!