- Blues & More
- Blues & More Solo Space (61-104)
- Midnight Bells (Youtube at Medium Swing – our interpretation is different – tempo is much slower and swung – Quarter Note = 80)
- Black Hole Sun
ESPRESSIVO VIDEO ASSESSMENTS – DUE PRIOR TO DECEMBER 17, 2018
Video Recording of the following are due before class on Tuesday, December 17. Video must capture your full performance (instrument, hands, face). If you do not have appropriate tech to complete it on your own, see me by Monday, December 10.
Email video with Subject: ESPRESSIVO EXCERPTS – Senior Jazz – YourLastName to firstname.lastname@example.org be 2 separate videos at low resolution or one single video, but ensure they are in 1 email and the subject is as indicated or I will not receive the video.
Use a physical metronome, a metronome app, the online metronome or play with the recordings to ensure you are playing in time and at the performance tempos.
- Christmas is Coming:
- Saxes: 22-34
- Trumpets: 22-34
- Trombones: 22-34
- Rhythm Section: 22-34
- Hark the Herald Angels Sing:
- Saxes: 31-51
- Trumpets: 24-30
- Trombones: 9-17
- Rhythm Section: 25-41
- Christmas Is Coming – Vince Guaraldi, arr. Mark Taylor
- Hark, The Herald Angels Sing – Traditional, arr. Rich DeRosa (in the style of Killer Joe – WDR Big Band with Christian McBride on Bass)
- Hark improv section works with C mixolydian (b7)
- (Concert) CDEFGABb
- (Bb) DEF#GABC
- (Eb) ABC#DEF#G
espressivo leanring Map:
- SWING – Heat Index – Matt Morey – https://www.readingclinic.ca/audio/693048.mp3
- LATIN (Calypso) Alegria – – http://www.kendormusic.com/mp3/4/42390.mp3Solo Section: Allegria m80-97
- Solo Section: Allegria m106-125
- BALLAD (Straight Eighths – ECM) True North – Mike Dana – http://www.kendormusic.com/mp3/6/61756.mp3 (we will be featuring Brian on Alto Sax)
- Solo Section: True North m46-69
- ROCK (Funk) Fatback & Greens – Jeff Jarvis – http://www.kendormusic.com/mp3/6/61203.mp3
If you would like input on charts to play through the rest of the year, you can visit www.jwpepper.com, go to thewww.jwpepper.com “Band” dropdown and select “Jazz”. To find music at the level of Senior Jazz Ensemble, pick a style from the menu on the left and when those charts load, select “Medium” from the “Grade & Difficulty” options on the left. Send me links or post recordings to REMIND.